Subject: Re: [PATCH/v3] bundle.c: added --stdin option to git-bundle

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2008 18:54:45 +0200

On Sat, 5 Jul 2008, Adam Brewster wrote:

> It seems that the consensus is that the other half of my original
> patch is no good.  You have some pretty good ideas about how to
> correctly address the problem I was trying to solve, and I look
> forward to seeing them actually implemented.

It is not that the other half is "no good", it is rather that there
is no consensus how and in what way it should be implemented; be
it separate git-bases command, git-bundle--bases helper script, or
incorporated in git-bundle code; should it be written in Perl or
as shell script (only in case of git-bases or git-bundle--bases),
or should it be written in C.

Adding some documentation, with example usage (example "workflows")
would help adding git-bases to git core... perhaps at start send
it as script in contrib/ ?

> For now, I offer separately the modification I made to bundle.c to
> allow git-bundle to handle the --stdin option.  

That's the way it is preferred here on git mailing list, to not bundle 
non-controversial change with the one that needs (or seem to need) some 
further discussion - do not hold features hostage ;-)

> There is no accompanying change to the documentation because it
> already implies that this option is available.

Adding an example of using `--stdin' to "[git-rev-list-args...]::"
in Documentation/git-bundle.txt would be good.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland