Subject: Re: [PATCH] better git-submodule status output

From: Sylvain Joyeux <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 17:42:51 +0200

On Mon, Jul 07, 2008 at 04:21:00PM +0100, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> > > > Thus, I'd say the best fix would be to find a way to have "git pull" or 
> > > > "git fetch" in the supermodule also do a fetch in the submodule.
> > > If I am actively working on the submodule, the supermodule has _no 
> > > business_ trying to wreck my state.
> > 
> > Is it possible to make 'fetch' only .. well .. fetch objects, without 
> > updating any refs ? In that case it would wreck no state as no state 
> > would be updated.
> 
> You have no business sneaking a fetch into an operation that does not need 
> one.  Period.
Well. Given that yourself were replying to having "git fetch" fetching
submodules as well, maybe you could tell me how "git fetch" is an
operation that does not need fetching[1].

Moreover, on the "need" point, I do think that git-submodule (or git in
general) needs a way to fetch (or to git remote update) all submodules
in one operation. Otherwise, managing submodules becomes hell very
quickly.

Sylvain

[1] I know, it sounds like a smurf talking.