Subject: Re: [PATCH] better git-submodule status output

From: Sylvain Joyeux <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 12:13:30 +0200

Here is a (tentative) summary of the whole discussion:

* doing fetch in status is EVIL. Therefore, status should only report
  whatever information is available.
* nonetheless, having a "peek" mode seem to be accepted as a useful
  feature not only by me.
* changing the output format of git-submodules is not right either,
  because it would break existing tools which parses it at the moment.

Proposal
- remove fetch from status, and make the new output enabled when
  --verbose is set (can also be set in the config file I guess).

  On the symbols side, I propose:
    > submodule commit is a direct descendant of the commit in the
      superproject
    < submodule commit is a direct ancestor of the commit in the
      superproject
    + no direct relation between submodule commit and commit in the
      superproject
    ? the commit in the superproject cannot be found in the submodule
      (replaces the initial '!' in my patch)

  A 'M' is appended if the submodule has uncommitted changes

- define a git-submodule 'fetch' subcommand which call fetch in each
  submodule and runs the verbose mode of git-status (can be disabled by
  a --quiet option).

Comments ? (I'm sure there are some ...)

Sylvain