Subject: Re: [PATCH] better git-submodule status output

From: Sylvain Joyeux <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 13:01:54 +0200

On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 12:25:25PM +0200, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> Sylvain Joyeux wrote:
>> Here is a (tentative) summary of the whole discussion:
>>
>> * doing fetch in status is EVIL. Therefore, status should only report
>>   whatever information is available.
>> * nonetheless, having a "peek" mode seem to be accepted as a useful
>>   feature not only by me.
>> * changing the output format of git-submodules is not right either,
>>   because it would break existing tools which parses it at the moment.
>>
>> Proposal
>> - remove fetch from status, and make the new output enabled when
>>   --verbose is set (can also be set in the config file I guess).
>>
>>   On the symbols side, I propose:
>>     > submodule commit is a direct descendant of the commit in the
>>       superproject
>>     < submodule commit is a direct ancestor of the commit in the
>>       superproject
>>     + no direct relation between submodule commit and commit in the
>>       superproject
>>     ? the commit in the superproject cannot be found in the submodule
>>       (replaces the initial '!' in my patch)
>>
>>   A 'M' is appended if the submodule has uncommitted changes
>>
>> - define a git-submodule 'fetch' subcommand which call fetch in each
>>   submodule and runs the verbose mode of git-status (can be disabled by
>>   a --quiet option).
>>
>> Comments ? (I'm sure there are some ...)
>>
>
> Re-use the existing symbolism from fetch status output. Using '+' to
> denote "no direct relation" in a tool that shows patches half the
> time is just plain horrible.
Could you be more specific ? AFAIK, 'fetch' symbolism is based on files,
the one I need is comparing commits.

And I don't like the '+' either. I chose it because it is the current
symbol to show that there is a difference between
superproject/submodule.
-- 
=======================================================================
Dr. Ing. Sylvain Joyeux                          [email-masked]
Researcher
DFKI Robotik Lab -- Bremen                   http://www.dfki.de/robotik
Tel: 0049 421 218 64136
=======================================================================