Subject: Re: [PATCH] bash completion: Fix the . -> .. revision range completion

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 06:27:55 +0000

Linus Torvalds <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jul 2008, Shawn O. Pearce wrote:
> > > 
> > > Does it fix this one too:
> > > 
> > > 	git show origin/pu:Makef<tab>
> > > 
> > > which totally screws up and becomes
> > > 
> > > 	git show Makefile
> > > 
> > > dropping the version specifier?

What is $COMP_WORDBREAKS set to in your shell?  In mine it
appears to be:

	" \"'@><=;|&(:"

which is the I believe the shell default.

Björn Steinbrink (doener on #git) is running bash 3.2.39 from
Debian and has the same setting, and the completion works correctly
there too.  He reports that removing : from COMP_WORDBREAKS will
get the behavior you are reporting as broken.

I have to say, this sounds to me like you (or some package on your
system) modified COMP_WORDBREAKS away from the default that other
distributions use and that is what is breaking us here.  Since we
can have only one setting for this variable in the shell I do not
thing it would be a good idea for our completion package to force
a specific setting upon the user.

Though we could try to detect : in there and if it is not present
use the workaround you posted.  But I wonder if just asking the
user to include : is easier.

-- 
Shawn.