Subject: Re: Git describe question

From: Mark Burton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 09:20:40 +0100

Thanks for the speedy response.

> A longer answer.  v1.5.6.X releases are from 'maint'.  The branch has
> forked from the mainline loooong time ago (at v1.5.6, to be exact), and
> has only fixes.  'master' is a separate branch for development that would
> eventually lead to the next major release (planned to be v1.6.0).

Ok, I understand what it's doing now - but that makes me wonder if it
would be useful/possible to be able to specify that git describe only
considers the commits on top of the tag for the current (or some
specified branch). i.e. at the moment, gitk shows 8 commits on top of
v1.5.6.3 in the master branch.

As the master branch is the checked out branch and the v1.5.6.3 tag
tags a commit in that branch (via the merge) is it not possible to only
consider the commits between the tag and the HEAD on that branch?

Sorry, I don't understand the git internals (yet) so I don't know if
this is a stupid question and I am certainly not in a position to try
and implement it myself (yet).

Cheers,

Mark