Subject: Re: Closing the merge window for 1.6.0

From: Petr Baudis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 14:43:27 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 12:57:56PM +0100, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jul 2008, Petr Baudis wrote:
> 
> > I'm saying this because I believe the best conservative upper bound for 
> > backwards compatibility is Git version in Debian stable. It gets 
> > probably the most stale from all the widely used software distributions 
> > using Git, and it *is* quite widely used. Etch carries v1.4.4.4, which 
> > fails miserably on the new packs.
> 
> Can't we just hit Debian's Git maintainer with a clue bat or a bus, 
> whichever is easier, and force them to upgrade _in_ Etch?  It's not like 
> we haven't had _several_ stable releases in-between.

  the whole point of having a stable distribution is that random version
upgrades don't happen under your hands; sure, 1.4.4.4 can have plenty of
bugs, but it's buggy in a well-defined way, which is better than upgrade
to newer stable version, which may be less buggy, but in a different
way; also, by upgrading to newer version you might find various subtle
compatibility issues, etc.

  Upgrading to newer version, *especially* if it's over then 1.4 - 1.5
boundary, is not something you could seriously expect Debian to do.
At least I actually _hope_ so, as a sysadmin of a network of 40 etch
workstations.

-- 
				Petr "Pasky" Baudis
GNU, n. An animal of South Africa, which in its domesticated state
resembles a horse, a buffalo and a stag. In its wild condition it is
something like a thunderbolt, an earthquake and a cyclone. -- A. Pierce