Subject: Re: Considering teaching plumbing to users harmful

From: Theodore Tso <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 22:47:35 -0400

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 02:25:05AM +0200, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> Well, rev-parse is one of my pet peeves this day.  rev-parse is _nothing_ 
> but plumbing.

Actually the the git man page doesn't list rev-parse as plumbing.  :-)

> Actually, the problem arose with a few "tutorials" on the web, and their 
> creators violently arguing for their ways (and me being more and more 
> uncertain if they are wrong or me).

I know you don't like hearing about SVN, but normally the tutorials I
tend to point people to, in addition to the standard official git
tutorial and git's user manual, are these two web pages.  First I tell
people to read first part of:

       http://utsl.gen.nz/talks/git-svn/intro.html

which covers the git "philosophy" very nicely, up to the point where
it starts talking about the "git svn" command, and then I tell them to
go read:

	http://git.or.cz/course/svn.html

There are no git plumbing commands in either of those two web pages,
because most SVN users would run screaming if they were given a
tutorial that talked about git-read-tree or git-commit-tree.  :-)

							- Ted