Subject: Re: Considering teaching plumbing to users harmful

From: Petr Baudis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 16:51:20 +0200

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 09:21:58AM -0500, Craig L. Ching wrote:
> Maybe if Git had a few different workflows
> documented that might help.  I know we have a "Git for SVN Users"
> workflow, but if you want to move beyond that, it might be good to have
> some of the more complex workflows documented.  I think some people have
> hinted at that suggestion but that maybe it just hasn't been explicitly
> said.

Yes, very recently, someone on #git asked about existing documented
workflows, and there is very little. It would be interesting project for
someone to build a 'Garden of Git Workflows' (or a Labyrinth) - for each
workflow, detailed self-contained documentation ranging from lone developer
with topic branches over repo.or.cz/github forks workflow, the workflows
of "leaf contributors", lieutenants and main integrators of the mail-oriented
kernel/git workflow, up to the single-central-repository workflows.

There are bits here and there, but the main problem is that they are not
self-contained. It might be nice to have something like a set of military
manuals, appropriate for the roles of the particular developers.

-- 
				Petr "Pasky" Baudis
GNU, n. An animal of South Africa, which in its domesticated state
resembles a horse, a buffalo and a stag. In its wild condition it is
something like a thunderbolt, an earthquake and a cyclone. -- A. Pierce