Subject: Re: Considering teaching plumbing to users harmful

From: Petr Baudis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 22:26:09 +0200

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 01:12:57PM -0700, Kevin Ballard wrote:
> There is one facet of submodules that annoys me, because it prevents me 
> from using them as a replacement for svn:externals. Namely, the submodule 
> refers to a specific repository, but not a path within that repository. I 
> work with svn repos that use svn:externals to peg revisions (as is 
> appropriate) but they all refer to various paths within the other 
> repositories, and the only way I can deal with that is to throw symlinks 
> everywhere.

Actually, is this a big problem? Git can track symlinks and without
adding support for overall partial checkouts, adding this would feel
like too huge a hack to me.

Also, when converting to a different VCS, it might be sensible to adjust
your modules setup a bit as well - the requirement to include only
particular subdirectory of a submodule sounds rather strange to me.

-- 
				Petr "Pasky" Baudis
GNU, n. An animal of South Africa, which in its domesticated state
resembles a horse, a buffalo and a stag. In its wild condition it is
something like a thunderbolt, an earthquake and a cyclone. -- A. Pierce