Subject: Re: Considering teaching plumbing to users harmful

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 23:03:18 +0200

Dnia czwartek 17. lipca 2008 22:40, Kevin Ballard napisał:
> On Jul 17, 2008, at 1:26 PM, Petr Baudis wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 01:12:57PM -0700, Kevin Ballard wrote:

>>> There is one facet of submodules that annoys me, because it  
>>> prevents me from using them as a replacement for svn:externals.
>>> Namely, the submodule refers to a specific repository, but not
>>> a path within that repository.  I work with svn repos that use
>>> svn:externals to peg revisions (as is appropriate) but they all
>>> refer to various paths within the other repositories, and the
>>> only way I can deal with that is to throw symlinks everywhere.
>>
>> Actually, is this a big problem? Git can track symlinks and without
>> adding support for overall partial checkouts, adding this would feel
>> like too huge a hack to me.
>>
>> Also, when converting to a different VCS, it might be sensible to  
>> adjust
>> your modules setup a bit as well - the requirement to include only
>> particular subdirectory of a submodule sounds rather strange to me.
> 
> The problem is right now I maintain a bunch of git-svn mirrors of  
> internal svn repos, but the company isn't willing to switch to git.  
> And we use subtree externals links to do things like pull in the  
> models from one rails app into another, or pull in various  
> subdirectories of the "support" repository.

I think the correct solution would be to make 'models' separate 
repository... or create interim repository containing only changes
to 'models', and having 'models' as its top directory.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland