Subject: Re: exit status 141 from git-svn

From: Jan Hudec <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 19:52:40 +0200

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 15:00:41 +0000, Frederik Hohlfeld wrote:
> Hi

Sorry for late reply. I just noticed your message after returning from
holiday *and* getting time to try to catch up with the list. Hope a reply
might still be useful.

> I have init'ed a git repository with git svn init.
> 
> Now I'm using git svn fetch, but it stops after just a few files/revisions. The
> exit status is 141.
> 
> What does this 141 want to tell me?

Unix trivia: When process dies from a signal, it's return status (as returned
by wait/waitpid(2) is signal_number * 256. However when bourne/POSIX shell
sees this, it will convert it to 128 + signal_number.

Now 141 - 128 = 13 and signal 13 is SIGPIPE. Process gets a SIGPIPE when it's
writing to a pipe (or socket) and it gets closed on the reading end, so it
sounds like a bad redirection somewhere. Aren't you by chance redirecting the
output to less and than quitting that without first scrolling to the bottom?

(That would be the most situation where process gets SIGPIPE -- and the very
reason why SIGPIPE exists, so that simple commands (like cat) are simply
stopped when nobody is interested in their output anymore).

-- 
						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <[email-masked]>