Subject: Re: HP-UX issues (WAS: Re: [RFC] Git User's Survey 2008)

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 23:38:00 +0200

On Wed, 23 July 2008, Miklos Vajna wrote:

> Being more constructive, what a user using HP-UX is supported to do?
> 
> 1) Use the patched git from HP.
> 
> 2) Have coreutils installed. (But then I think it would be good to list
> this dependency in INSTALL.)

It would be good idea, although "POSIX-compliant shells" implies
coreutils somewhat; shell scripts usually do require some utilities,
like sed, grep, cat, test etc.

> 3) Patch git to use automake's install-sh. (Would such a patch be ever
> accepted?)

I think it would.  It would allow us also to uncomment the
AC_PROG_INSTALL line in configure.ac file to find 'install'
automatically (autoconf requires having install.sh or install-sh
fallback in the sources).

The problem is coming up with minimal yet portable (at least as
portable as git itself) fallback install.sh script.
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland