Subject: Re: [EGIT] Supported Eclipse version

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 11:16:52 -0500

Marek Zawirski <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Jean-François Veillette wrote:
>>> Maybe some users (or developers) from mailing list can tell us about  
>>> their opinion?
>>
>> I think keeping comptability for one version behind the 'current'  
>> (still compatible 3.3 while 3.4 is the current) is a reasonable goal.
>> 3.2 is relatively far behind, tools vendor had time to get up to date  
>> by now.
>
> Robin, Shawn, would you accept next patches using 3.3 API?

Yes, we should be dropping support for 3.2 now and supporting only
3.3 and 3.4 going forward.  3.2 is ancient and anyone who is serious
aboug using Git with Eclipse really should be on a more current
version of the tools.

Same argument that Junio gave about not supporting Debian users who
are still installing git 1.4.4.4 and hope it works; we suggest they
install the 1.5.x based backport as soon as possible.

Commercial Eclipse distributions that are still based upon 3.2
should be upgrading themselves to 3.3 real soon, and if not, their
users should be forching them to do it.

-- 
Shawn.