Subject: Re: git-scm.com

From: Petr Baudis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 15:07:57 +0200

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 01:03:26AM -0700, Jakub Narebski wrote:
> "Scott Chacon" <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > A followup on the post I did a few days ago about Git documentation.
> > I forked Petr's git.or.cz site and put up a version that I think is a
> > bit more accessible and newbie-friendly at git-scm.com.  I had meant
> > to discuss this with Petr before posting it to you all, but I
> > published a blog post that got a bit more attention than I expected,
> > and I didn't want you all to think I didn't care about your opinion,
> > as some have already accused me of.
> 
> On thing I am curious about: how do you plan to have current version
> of Git in the download / last version section?  Petr Baudis uses
> custom script, which search git mailing list for "[ANNOUNCE]" posts,
> and automatically updates download / last version links.

Actually, I scan the last tag on maint branch using git descirbe; the
ANNOUNCE posts are scanned by the RSS feed. Originally, git-scm scanned
kernel.org download directory for the latest tarball, but it seemed that
would break on something like the 1.4.4.5, so it also moved to the git
describe method:

	http://repo.or.cz/w/git-homepage.git?a=blob;f=update.sh
	http://github.com/schacon/learn-github/tree/master/script/get_version.rb

One Scott's concern that didn't occur to me was that a the time of
release, we could have broken links between the time tag is created and
tarballs are wrapped up. I *think* that in practice, this happens at the
same time, I wonder if Junio could confirm that.

-- 
				Petr "Pasky" Baudis
As in certain cults it is possible to kill a process if you know
its true name.  -- Ken Thompson and Dennis M. Ritchie