Subject: Re: Running git gui on Windows.

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 08:02:44 -0700

Jurko Gospodnetiii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>   Is there a way to run git gui on Windows so it does not block the  
>> calling process?

In traditional UNIX shells this is "git gui &", requesting that the
shell background the process, but still monitor it for exit status.
On Windows there is no such easy concept.

>   I now realized my question did not say exactly what I intended it to.  
> I know I can start 'git gui' using:
>
>   start "" /b cmd /c git gui
>
>   from the command prompt and get the desired effect. I was wondering  
> why git gui does not do this in the first place and whether it could be  
> modified so that this is the default behaviour?

git-gui and gitk won't automatically background themselves, as they
are primarily developed on UNIX and have a UNIX like interface to
them, including backgrounding behavior.

We could add a -f flag to git-gui, such that "git gui -f" causes it
to fork+exec a new wish process, completely disconnecting it from the
calling shell.  (-f stolen from OpenSSH's ssh -f host xterm example)
I'd accept a patch for it, but its not high on my list of things to
write and debug myself.

-- 
Shawn.