Subject: Re: [QGIT RFC] Unit tests for QGit

From: Jan Hudec <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 09:55:57 +0200

On Fri, Aug 08, 2008 at 16:00:57 -0700, Benjamin Sergeant wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 2:13 PM, Jan Hudec <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > I've been thinking about some refactoring of QGit since some time. And to be
> > sure I don't screw up things too hard in the process, I thought about adding
> > a test suite infrastructure first (and add some test cases for each think
> > just before refactoring it).
> >
> > The problem is, that implementing unittests means I need to compile
> > 2 separate binaries -- qgit itself and the test -- using most (but not all)
> > of the same sources. I see two ways to do it, so I'd like to ask which you
> > consider cleaner:
> > [...]
> 
> Maybe you can have a look at QTestLib. But it won't solve your

Sure I did. Unfortunately they don't suggest any good way to handle your
build process with it in their examples. Seems to me they never tried testing
an application with it.

I plan to go down the QTestLib route. Maybe it could be combined with
LDTP[1] for blackbox testing -- they claim to be able to use Qt 4's
accessibility to control an application.

> buildsystem issues. You'll need one .pro per test. (I have one .pro
> per test plus one directory per test). There's probably other ways to
> using it.

Depends on what you call a test. But generally there should be no reason to
have more than one .pro file for all tests. You just need to manually
maintain a list of test classes or create some kind of static instance
self-registration (which I did).

> http://doc.trolltech.com/4.4/qtestlib-manual.html#qtestlib

[1] http://ldtp.freedesktop.org/

-- 
						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <[email-masked]>