Subject: Re: [GSoC] What is status of Git's Google Summer of Code 2008 projects?

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 01:23:31 +0200

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008, Sam Vilain wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-08-14 at 04:57 +0200, Jakub Narebski wrote:
>>
>> 1. GitTorrent
>>  
>> Student: Joshua Roys
>> Mentor: Sam Vilain
>> 
>> If I remember correctly at midterm it was deemed to be somewhat late;
>> metainfo was done, tracker was in works, some core infrastructure
>> and beginnings of peer to peer:
>>   http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git.gittorrent/1
[...]

>> Status: I have no idea how close GitTorrent is to completion (where by 
>> completion I mean ready, tested and benchmarked code running e.g. on 
>> kernel.org).  I'm not sure if it is meant to be incorporated in git, 
>> even in contrib, or remain separate like StGIT, TopGit or jgit.
> 
> The scope outlined in the GitTorrent proposal was a little bit more of a
> research project; being ready for production use on kernel.org or having
> code ready to merge to git was not directly a deliverable.
> 
> The approved idea at the outset of *this* project was to try out the RFC
> protocol design as it stands, iron out the weaknesses and see how it
> performs. [...]

That is a very good idea, but neither 
http://git.or.cz/gitwiki/SoC2008Projects#GitTorrent nor
http://code.google.com/soc/2008/git/appinfo.html?csaid=F544F0DAA82AFDFC
tells me that it is more about prototype implementation, or even
pre-prototype implementation (testing protocol design), than actually
implementing it in the state for it to be ready to use.

What I (and I guess also GSoC 2008 admins) would know is how far this
research on GitTorrent Protocol went; what milestones were achieved and
what were missed...

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland