Subject: Re: [RFC] Plumbing-only support for storing object metadata

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 16:28:00 -0700

Marcus Griep <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I was under the impression that tags were references to commit objects,
> and they to tree objects:
> 
> tag -> commit -> tree

No.  A tag can reference any object.  See for example the
junio-gpg-pub tag in git.git, it references a blob, not a commit.
The linux-2.6.git tree has a tag which references a tree.

Tags may also reference other tags.
 
> Also, wouldn't this require large numbers tags, or the ability to multi-
> target tags?

Tag objects don't have to have names in the repository's ref space,
but it helps that they do when you are doing git-lost-found.
Having a tag in the database which shouldn't have a ref name in
refs/tags is more than a bit funny.

-- 
Shawn.