Subject: Re: [PATCHv3 1/2] Make xdi_diff_outf interface for running xdiff_outf diffs

From: [email-masked] (Brian Downing)
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 01:29:14 -0500

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 10:24:22PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Is the reason why you mention "incremental" specifically because you only
> tested incremental, or you get identical result in non-incremental mode?

I've only tested incremental at this point.

> If your material is repetitive, say you have lines "A A A B C A A A" in
> the parent blob and "A A A B A A A" in the child blob, and you are trying
> to pass blame on three line block "A A A" at the beginning of the child,
> we can pass blame to the three lines at the beginning part, or to the end
> part, without Linus's common tail trimming optimization.  But there is no
> way it can match the end part with the optimization.
> 
> You cannot say one result is more correct than the other --- both are
> equally correct.  Of course, you could argue that with such a highly
> repetitive material, it may be better to match closer ones, but it's a
> judgement call.

Okay, that makes sense.  Thanks.

-bcd