Subject: Re: [PATCH v4] gitweb: ref markers link to named shortlogs

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 15:42:12 +0200

Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 3:01 PM, Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >
> > Seems overly complicated.  How about something like this, instead?
> > It simply moves stripping ^{} from refs to format_ref_marker(),
> > and uses "tags/v1.5.0^{}" instead of [ "tags/v1.5.0", 1 ].
> 
> My thought was that if the refs stuff was being used for something
> else than format_ref_marker, it would fail more spectacularly due to
> the different kind of values, rather than introducing potentially
> subtle bugs due to the additiona ^{} popping in unexpectedly, but it
> wouldn't be a problem to do it the simple way. Let me clean the patch
> up and resubmit it.

This might be good idea, but for the two following reasons: a) it makes
code more complicated, b) it is inconsistent, because ref type would
be saved in refname then stripped in format_ref_marker, while indirection
would be saved in git_get_references; consistent would be 
["tags", "v1.5.0", 1].

Thanks for your work on improving gitweb.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland