Subject: Re: [PATCH] gitweb: ref markers link to named shortlogs

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 08:48:32 +0200

Lea Wiemann wrote:
> Jakub Narebski wrote:
> >
> > By the way, this is argument *for* selecting action when generating
> > link, if it is possible without incurring unnecessary (if you don't
> > follow the link) performance penalty.
> 
> I agree that it's much cleaner to select the action when generating the
> page, rather than having an 'objectview' action or so.
> 
> Worrying about performance seems like premature optimization though --
> my guesstimate is that the performance penalty for looking up the object
> type is not practically noticeable (read: relevant), and with my patch
> applied (even without caching activated) it should move below the
> measurable range.  So don't complicate the code to gain another 0.01%
> performance. ;-)

First, without your 'git cat-file --batch-check' reuse-connection trick
it wouldn't be _one_ additional fork; it is one fork per ref marker,
which might be quite a lot in tag-heavy, branch-heavy, and using for
example StGIT (with its refs) environment.  Note that not all operating
systems have lightweight fork, and that even with "caching" it is IO hit,
and a bit of CPU hit.

Second, it isn't much more code than git_get_type solution, it is bit
larger change: leave ^{} alone, check if ^{} and strip it, as compared
to git_get_type.

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland