Subject: Re: [PATCH] be paranoid about closed stdin/stdout/stderr

From: "Stephen R. van den Berg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 15:58:46 +0200

Paolo Bonzini wrote:
>> It is either run by ssh (via command="" option in authorized_keys file),
>> by init/login (if in /etc/passwd), or by gitosis (and its equivalent).

>It is possible to run it with file descriptors closed via ssh, using
>command="git-shell 0<&- 1<&- 2<&-" in the authorized_keys file.

I don't consider this that relevant, however...

>It's true that in this case the user is also shooting himself, but given
>that git-shell is used to restrict operation to "safe" commands, this
>special case might be worth being worked around.

Since a programmer error in this case doesn't inflict just pain on the
user, but also is a potential security leak that can potentially be 
exploited by third party users, things are different, and it is worth
catering for.
-- 
Sincerely,
           Stephen R. van den Berg.

"Listen carefully, I shall say this only wence."