Subject: Re: [kernel.org users] [RFD] On deprecating "git-foo" for builtins

From: Russell King <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 20:19:56 +0100

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 01:53:50AM +0200, Stefan Richter wrote:
> Russell King wrote:
> >And no warnings before hand that the commands you were using were
> >deprecated.
> 
> (a) They weren't deprecated, they were moved into a different directory.

I think Junio will tell you differently on the "deprecation" bit.

> (b) There have been several announcements of the 1.6.0 prereleases and 
> the 1.6.0 release crossposted.  Of course somebody forgot to tell you 
> what you will learn from these release notes.  Unfair.

Cross posting to high traffic mailing lists doesn't guarantee that
it'll be read.  It's the wrong place to do it.

Arguably, though, the lack of information to users on the system affected
is not git maintainers fault.  It's the fault of the admins on that system
not having read the release notes themselves, and warning their users (for
whom git is a *critical* bit of software) that an upgrade is going to take
place, and they should read such-and-such.

Like a note in the system MOTD.

> (c) There do happen unannounced software updates on shell servers over 
> which you don't have control.  Ask for your money back.
> 
> (d) "-" -> " "?  Molehill.

"ls" -> "listfiles" - how would you feel about that change happening
behind your back?

-- 
Russell King
 Linux kernel    2.6 ARM Linux   - http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/
 maintainer of: