Subject: Re: [kernel.org users] [RFD] On deprecating "git-foo" for builtins

From: Matthew Wilcox <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 14:30:41 -0600

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 01:10:14PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> I think it is fair to say that I have vetoed and am still vetoing many "UI
> clean-ups" that propose to change things in a way that "should have been
> this way for consistency's sake from day one, if there were no existing
> user base".  During discussions to shoot down such proposals, I take
> opinions from early adopters (that's you, kernel, wine and x.org people)
> very seriously, perhaps to the point that outsiders would feel I am giving
> them disproportionately large vetoing power.  Sadly, those "opinions from
> eraly adopters" are less and less "real" but more "I'd imagine the early
> adopters would say..." these days.  The process would work better if early
> adopters do their part to help me by speaking up when it matters from time
> to time.

I think it's fairly clear by now that we aren't shy about sharing our
opinions ... if we're asked for them.  So do we need a git-oldtimers
mailing list where you can post proposals so we can NACK them?

-- 
Matthew Wilcox				Intel Open Source Technology Centre
"Bill, look, we understand that you're interested in selling us this
operating system, but compare it to ours.  We can't possibly take such
a retrograde step."