Subject: Re: [kernel.org users] [RFD] On deprecating "git-foo" for builtins

From: Petr Baudis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 22:44:18 +0200

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 01:23:50PM -0700, Perry Wagle wrote:
>
> On Aug 28, 2008, at 12:52 PM, Teemu Likonen wrote:
>
>> I have come to understand that "git " has quite long time been more
>> robust and portable way of writing scripts. They work in both
>> configurations so I'd definitely suggest doing "s/git-/git /g" for every
>> script. Of course in an interactive shell everyone can use whatever they
>> prefer and works at the moment.
>
> Sure.  Its an extra fork in git command intensive scripts (and git is racey 
> still maybe), but *shrug*.

Do you have any details on the races in Git you know about?

This does not mean an extra fork, only extra exec. In case of builtin
commands (which is actually a large majority by now), not even that.

> Even as of March 2008 (our last sync with git before the git scripting was 
> completed and we got on to other things), the sample scripts and gitweb 
> still used the git<DASH> form.  If this has been brewing for two years, 
> there shouldn't have been a git<DASH> form in the scripts in the standard 
> source *anywhere* for those two years.

I agree that this is a problem. Even now, the documentation is using
git- at plenty of places. Patches are welcome, I'm sure.

-- 
				Petr "Pasky" Baudis
The next generation of interesting software will be done
on the Macintosh, not the IBM PC.  -- Bill Gates