Subject: Re: [PATCH 00/12] Towards a better merge resolution support

From: Alex Riesen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 11:44:12 +0200

Junio C Hamano, Sat, Aug 30, 2008 02:42:31 +0200:
> This consists of two loosely related topics on improving conflicted merge
> resolution support.
> 
> The early part of the series is what you already saw.  In addition to
> recording a conflicted merge in the RCS merge style we have traditionally
> used, this allows you to optionally use "diff3 -m" style.  The difference
> is that the latter format shows the part from the common ancestor that
> corresponds to the parts both sides modified to cause the conflict, in
> addition to the changes done on each side.  This can be chosen by setting
> a configuration variable.  Rerere mechanism is updated to understand this
> new format as well, and conflicts from either formats interoperate well,
> because rerere mechanism only records and uses the changes made on each
> side, not what was in the common ancestor.

This reminds me: when resolving a conflict in a git repo (when trying
something from next or pu), I often notice that I'd like to resolve it
the same way it was done on next or pu. IOW, copy the commit
resolution from some other merge commit. Maybe can be a way to use
rerere mechanism with that?