Subject: Re: Merge seems to get confused by (reverted) cherry-picks

From: Johan Herland <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 13:16:05 +0200

On Wednesday 03 September 2008, Ittay Dror wrote:
> Note: codeville tried to implement a merge algorithm that considers
> the history to decide what the user wants to do:
> http://revctrl.org/PreciseCodevilleMerge. Maybe worth while
> exploring?

You haven't been here long, have you? ;)

There was an infamous mailing list discussion between Bram Cohen (who 
created PreciseCodevilleMerge), and Linus Torvalds back in 2005, 
discussing merge strategies. It is well recounted here:

http://wincent.com/a/about/wincent/weblog/archives/2007/07/a_look_back_bra.php

Also, nowadays, even Bram himself seems to have conceded 
PreciseCodevilleMerge in favour of traditional 3-way merge, at least if 
you look at item #3 in the following posting from his blog:

http://bramcohen.livejournal.com/52148.html

...Johan

-- 
Johan Herland, <[email-masked]>
www.herland.net