Subject: Re: Git User's Survey 2008 partial summary

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 07:45:52 -0700

Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> wrote:
> This is partial summary of Git User's Survey 2008 [...]
> 
> 03. With which programming languages are you proficient?
> 
> Around 939 people answered this question.  C is most popular with 59%;
> Ruby and surprisingly a bit shell script programming have around second
> place, with about 52-53%.  More people are proficient with Python than 
> in Perl by about 1/3-1/4.  Very few people (25 responses, around 3%)
> feel proficient in Tcl/Tk, which means shallow pool of possible git-gui
> and gitk contributors.  Java is quite popular with around 42%, which
> gives hope in continued JGit/EGit development.

Yea, I liked seeing that result from our user base.  42% of the
respondants know Java as a language.  Not all of them may like
programming in it for fun, but at least they claim they know it.  :-)

In the IDE part Eclipse received 13% (124 responses), which is
almost close to Emacs (20%, 193 responses).  Sadly only 2% (19
responses) use EGit.  There's probably a lot of reasons for that.
Possibly the "egit_sux" tag on repo.or.cz.  Or our lack of a stable
update site that users can install reasonably stable versions from.

I think we've picked up 3 new contributors recently to the JGit/EGit
project.  Jonas Fonseca has started to use JGit inside of a NetBeans
IDE plugin.  Today he posted 2 patches, hopefully the first of many.

Tor Arne Vestb� has been working on improving EGit's resource
decorator.  His fork on repo.or.cz is a few days old, but it has
some really good potential in there.  I'm looking forward to seeing
the final series from his work.

Charles O'Farrell joined us a few weeks back and added support for
ref deletion, along with CLI for "jgit branch -d/-D".  I think his
time is rather limited, but the contributions are most appreciated.

And of course Marek Zawirski is still contributing, but I think
he's back in classes so his time is a little bit more constrained.

Months back I think someone asked about including JGit in a
commerically licensed product.  Since its 3-clause BSD its quite
possible to do.  But I haven't seen anything materialize yet on
that front.

-- 
Shawn.