Subject: Re: Calling ssh from git-gui

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 10:15:43 -0700

Petr Baudis <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>   I'm quite at loss by now searching for a reasonable solution for
> invoking ssh (either directly or through git fetch/git push) from
> git-gui, which is very problematic right now - doubly so when
> considering both UNIX and Win32.
> 
>   There are several scenarios to consider:
> 
>   (i) SSH to known host with key managed by a running agent.
>   (ii) SSH to host without agent running or without keys set up.
>   (iii) SSH to unknown host (unregistered fingerprint).
> 
>   Currently, (i) is the only scenario git-gui can handle, [...]
> 
>   Handling (ii) and (iii) unfortunately turned out to be very tricky.

And that is why it doesn't handle (ii) or (iii) at the present time,
and unless I am given a nice patch series for any git-gui related
parts of this, why it will continue to remain that way for quite
some time.

Its annoying, and people complain about it, but I know of no good
solution here, and neither it seems does anyone else.  :-|

At prior day-job I had a customized git-gui starting an rxvt on
Cygwin to run some in-house command line scripts, which in turn
called git fetch and git push.  These worked just fine obviously in
an rxvt, it was a full tty that SSH could interact with the user on.

Damn annoying for git-gui to be invoking a new terminal window, but
maybe that's what we have to do.  Be nice though if the window only
was opened because we couldn't do "git ls-remote url" but its hard
to tell "hanging because SSH needs the user" and "hanging because
the network is a 2400 baud modem".

-- 
Shawn.