Subject: Re: Calling ssh from git-gui

From: Petr Baudis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 19:33:10 +0200

On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 10:15:43AM -0700, Shawn O. Pearce wrote:
> And that is why it doesn't handle (ii) or (iii) at the present time,
> and unless I am given a nice patch series for any git-gui related
> parts of this, why it will continue to remain that way for quite
> some time.

My writeup was not actually intended as 'how we might do it' but 'how
should *I* implement this'. ;-) I _do_ plan for a nice patch series.
For now I'm defaulting on the SSH_ASKPASS approach.

> Damn annoying for git-gui to be invoking a new terminal window, but
> maybe that's what we have to do.  Be nice though if the window only
> was opened because we couldn't do "git ls-remote url" but its hard
> to tell "hanging because SSH needs the user" and "hanging because
> the network is a 2400 baud modem".

Oh, indeed - that is something what I had in mind when starting to write
this mail about a week ago, but forgot to mention now. It's the
possibility of having console spawn a real tty (or do some more stuff to
*emulate* a tty, but again, this might get hairy in TCL). However, this
feels very... "untidy" compared to SSH_ASKPASS.

-- 
				Petr "Pasky" Baudis
The next generation of interesting software will be done
on the Macintosh, not the IBM PC.  -- Bill Gates