Subject: Re: [JGIT PATCH 1/2] Switch usage of AnyObjectId.toString() to new AnyObjectId.name()

From: Jonas Fonseca <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 23:31:14 +0200

Shawn O. Pearce <[email-masked]> wrote Wed, Sep 03, 2008:
> Hmm.  I had to squash this into it just to fix most of the code and
> make it pass tests, let alone fix the fetch and push implementations.
> Most of the library plain up and broke with this toString change.
>
> Missing T0001_ObjectId suggests to me that your method of running
> the tests isn't working right.

I can see that I am off to a good start leaving everything in a nice
broken mess. My only excuse is that while writing the patch I was still
trying to set up the tests to run properly. After applying your fix
and rerunning the tests pass here also.

And, lessons learnt: also run the jgit programs to get wider coverage.
(Uh, sounds like wiki material ... :)

> And this is only JGit.  I haven't even started to look into EGit.
> Though I don't expect you to fix EGit since you are working on
> NetBeans.  :-)

It is clearly a bigger tasks than I had expected and maybe not a good
starting point for contributing to JGit. However, in the longer run this
interface change will remove some unpleasant surprises.

-- 
Jonas Fonseca