Subject: Re: [RFC] origin link for cherry-pick and revert

From: "Stephen R. van den Berg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 01:36:09 +0200

Jeff King wrote:
>On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 02:05:28PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> To be consistent, when you are at HEAD and are merging side branch B,
>> because that merge is to incorporate what happened on the side branch
>> while you are looking the other way, we should say "by the way, the
>> difference between state $(git merge-base HEAD B) and state B was used to
>> make this commit." in the resulting merge commit, shouldn't we?

>I suppose you could, though in that case you can obviously calculate the
>merge base yourself from the parents of the merge. The difference with
>cherry-picking (or rebasing) is that you might not otherwise know about
>the "by the way" commits.

Quite.  The origin link is primarily intended for cherry-picks/reverts
which are otherwise difficult to find.  Anything that can use the normal
parent mechanism has no business using the origin links.
-- 
Sincerely,
           Stephen R. van den Berg.

"Be spontaneous!"