Subject: Re: [RFC] origin link for cherry-pick and revert

From: "Stephen R. van den Berg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 21:44:47 +0200

Nicolas Pitre wrote:
>On Thu, 11 Sep 2008, Stephen R. van den Berg wrote:
>> Not quite.  Obviously all parents of p and p^ will continue to exist.
>> I.e. deleting branch B will cause all commits from p till the tip of B
>> (except p itself) to vanish.  Keeping p implies that the whole chain of
>> parents below p will continue to exist and be reachable.  That's the way
>> a git repository works.

>And that's what I called stupid in my earlier reply to you.  Either you 
>have proper branches or tags keeping P around, or deleting B brings 
>everything not reachable through other branches or tags (or reflog) 
>away too.  Otherwise there is no point making a dangling origin link 
>valid.

Well, the principle of least surprise dictates that they should be kept
by gc as described above, however...
I can envision an option to gc say "--drop-weak-links" which does
exactly what you describe.
-- 
Sincerely,
           Stephen R. van den Berg.
"There are three types of people in the world;
 those who can count, and those who can't."