Subject: Re: [RFC] origin link for cherry-pick and revert

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 22:05:15 +0200

Stephen R. van den Berg wrote:
> Nicolas Pitre wrote:
>>On Thu, 11 Sep 2008, Stephen R. van den Berg wrote:
>>> Not quite.  Obviously all parents of p and p^ will continue to exist.
>>> I.e. deleting branch B will cause all commits from p till the tip of B
>>> (except p itself) to vanish.  Keeping p implies that the whole chain of
>>> parents below p will continue to exist and be reachable.  That's the way
>>> a git repository works.
> 
>>And that's what I called stupid in my earlier reply to you.  Either you 
>>have proper branches or tags keeping P around, or deleting B brings 
>>everything not reachable through other branches or tags (or reflog) 
>>away too.  Otherwise there is no point making a dangling origin link 
>>valid.
> 
> Well, the principle of least surprise dictates that they should be kept
> by gc as described above, however...
> I can envision an option to gc say "--drop-weak-links" which does
> exactly what you describe.

Well, IIRC the need for this was one of the causes of "death" of 'prior'
header link proposal...

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland