Subject: Re: CGit and repository list

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 09:00:06 -0700

Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Petr Baudis wrote:
> > 
> >   this finally tripped me over and I wanted to quickly add cgit as an
> > alternate viewing interface at repo.or.cz. [...]
> 
> Or you can wait a little while for "smart" HTTP server, which I guess
> also generates automatically or/and on the fly objects/info/packs and
> info/refs required by "dumb" protocols clients (including old HTTP
> clients).

The automatic generation of objects/info/packs and info/refs is
planned for support in the smart CGI, but it doesn't help the
"gitweb URL is same as clone URL" concept.  For that you need your
HTTP server to know how to issue some requests to gitweb and others
to the smart CGI or to the filesystem.
 
> P.S. Could you please gather some statistics to compare the period
> before and after installing "smart" HTTP server (and after smart
> clients became widespread).

Well, it would help if there was a working implementation of the
"smart" HTTP server.  ;-)

Right now I haven't been able to touch the project for two weeks
straight.  I'm hoping to be able to put 2 full days into it next
week.  Lets see how that plan works.

-- 
Shawn.