Subject: Re: CGit and repository list

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 17:54:29 +0200

Petr Baudis wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 04:36:11PM +0200, Lars Hjemli wrote:
> >
> > <plug>
> > Current cgit also allows cloning over http using the same url as for
> > browsing the repo, i.e. you may
> > 
> >   $ git clone http://hjemli.net/git/cgit
> > 
> > This has one advantage over just publishing the repo; you don't have
> > to run `git-update-server-info` (thanks to the work done by Shawn O.
> > Pearce on git-http-backend, which is shamelessly reimplemented in
> > cgit).
> > </plug>
> 
>   this finally tripped me over and I wanted to quickly add cgit as an
> alternate viewing interface at repo.or.cz. [...]

Or you can wait a little while for "smart" HTTP server, which I guess
also generates automatically or/and on the fly objects/info/packs and
info/refs required by "dumb" protocols clients (including old HTTP
clients).

P.S. Could you please gather some statistics to compare the period
before and after installing "smart" HTTP server (and after smart
clients became widespread).

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland