Subject: Re: having to pull twice

From: Thomas Rast <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 09:05:02 +0200

Shawn O. Pearce wrote:
> "Michael P. Soulier" <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > I'm finding this happening from time to time.
> > 
> > soulierm@espresso:~/work/mitel-msl-tug$ git pull
> ...
> > error: Entry 'mitel-msl-tug.spec' not uptodate. Cannot merge.
[fixed by 'git status's index refresh]
> 
> Time or dev/ino skew in the index file vs. what we read from stat.
> 
> Running git-status rematched the index file to the working directory,
> and during that rematch it noticed the file wasn't actually modified.

This keeps coming up every week or so... maybe git-merge should
attempt to refresh the index automatically?  Of course it's an
expensive operation, but if you really want to do the merge you have
to bite that bullet anyway.

Unfortunately I can't see an obvious place to do that---the above
message comes from unpack-trees.c, where changes would also affect
e.g. checkout.

On the other hand, as near as I can tell this is a regression in
builtin-merge.  Miklos, do you know if/how this can be fixed?

- Thomas

-- 
Thomas Rast
[email-masked]