Subject: Re: [RFC] gitweb wishlist and TODO list

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 12:01:03 +0200

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008, Jakub Narebski wrote:

> This is yet another series of planned gitweb features. It expands more
> on new user-visible features than on improving gitweb code (therefore
> for example using Git.pm/Git::Repo, gitweb caching, and list form of
> open for pipelines are not mentioned here).

Below there are a few more features which were missing from the list:

* Support for invoking gitweb.cgi (the compiled version) from command
  line to easy generate projects list in format used by gitweb,
  perhaps also to generate web feeds (RSS, Atom, OPML). It would
  probably require adding support for CLI parameters.

* gitweb-admin or gitwebmin; I guess best as separate script.
  
  Allow to set gitweb configuration, gitweb-related per-repository
  configuration (visibility, access, description, README, URLs,...).
  Perhaps also allow to set access permissions, delete/create
  branches, change denyFastForward, rename project, set alternates,
  etc.

* Make gitweb use less dependent on understanding git terminology, like
  'tree' -> 'browse' etc. (proposed by Pieter de Bie (Pieter) on #git,
  as "simplified interface", 2008-09-27T14:56+0200).

  'tree' -> 'browse', 'blob' -> 'file' or 'show', 
  'snapshot' -> 'archive' or 'download', 'heads' -> 'branches'
  'commit | commitdiff | tree | snapshot' -> 'show | browse' for heads
  
  Unfortunately there is no consensus on how such simpler terminology
  should look like...

* Support for generating bundles, and not only snapshots, either
  depth=1 bundles, or diff bundles (snapshot for diff is bundle).

* Support for i18n (translating gitweb), best using 'gettext' which
  the rest of git (gitk and git-gui) uses (use Locale::TextDomain,
  or Locale::Maketext?).

* Possibly: fallback to "user.name <user.email>" for repository owner

-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland