Subject: Re: [FYI][PATCH] Customizing the WinGit installer

From: Petr Baudis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 19:23:48 +0200

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 06, 2008 at 05:23:19PM +0200, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> To give them an idea about their _rights_.  Because they are entitled by 
> the GPL to get -- in source -- the changes that were done to that 
> particular distributions.
> 
> Speaking from experience, companies usually do not want to tell you about 
> your rights with regard to free software.
> 
> And in this case, I have a personal interest.  I feel that my efforts to 
> the msysGit project are not really rewarded.  People like to use it, but 
> they hardly give anything back (you being a very notable exception).

  Maybe this is a little of a misunderstanding. This is not a "consumer"
aimed customized Git version. This is for internal Git usage within the
corporation, the users have varying interest in Git but it is generally
very low, they just regard it as another tool and they will never hack
or customize it; I just don't see a point in bothering them with another
extra installation step. Maybe in more general Git distribution I would
agree this change indeed is not that appropriate (even though in my own
GPL'd project, I wouldn't add the GPL step to the installer anyway).

-- 
				Petr "Pasky" Baudis
People who take cold baths never have rheumatism, but they have
cold baths.