Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH] describe: Make --tags and --all match lightweight tags more often

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 11:00:40 -0700

Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Shawn O. Pearce wrote:
>> If the caller supplies --tags they want the lightweight, unannotated
>> tags to be searched for a match.  If a lightweight tag is closer
>> in the history, it should be matched, even if an annotated tag is
>> reachable further back in the commit chain.
>>
>> The same applies with --all when matching any other type of ref.
>>
>
> In 99% of the cases, "--all" will then give back the currently
> checked out branch unless a revision is specified, right?

Yup.

`git describe --all` or `git describe --all HEAD`

would kick back the current branch you have checked out, assuming
you have a real branch under refs/heads and not some detached HEAD.

IMHO, that's what the user asked for.

-- 
Shawn.