Subject: Re: [PATCH] doc: enhance git describe --tags help

From: Uwe Kleine-König <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 22:05:34 +0200

Hi Shawn,

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 03:26:46PM -0700, Shawn O. Pearce wrote:
> Its a change in behavior.  Today users are getting annotated tags
> back from `git describe --tags` even if lightweight tags are closer.
> Once this code change is in they'll start to get lightweight tags.
>
> Previously `git describe --tags` never gave a lightweight tag if
> there was at least one annotated tag in the history.  Now it will
> start to give the lightweight tags.  Some users may see that as a
> breakage.
Right, and previously `git describe` didn't differ from `git describe
--tags` in the presence of at least one annotated tag.  This is the main
reason for me to believe that this breakage doesn't hurt that much.

>            Especially after the 1.6 "dashless" change...
I didn't get why the "dashless" change is relevant here.  IMHO this one
is/was harder for the user because it changed every command, and they
had to start using bash completion if they didn't before.  This one
should only hurt the users of "git describe --tags", and I assume there
are not that many.  Still more as the documentation describes the
behaviour the patch implements.

Best regards
Uwe