Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH] archive: fix setup to work in bare repositories

From: Charles Bailey <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 22:09:13 +0100

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 04:37:22PM -0400, Deskin Miller wrote:
> cmd_archive was calling git_config -> setup_git_env prior to
> write_archive calling setup_git_directory.  In a bare repository, the
> former will set git_dir to be '.git' since the latter has not
> determined that it's operating in a bare repository yet.
> 
> Things are complicated, however, by the fact that git archive --list
> should work from anywhere, not just in git repositories, so that
> argument needs to be checked for before setup_git_directory is called.

Just for some background, I think that this issue might be an
unintended consequence of this commit:

b99b5b40cffb5269e4aa38b6b60391b55039e27d

The only reason that the git_config call has been added is to ensure
the correct setting of core.autocrlf before convert_to_working_tree is
called on any blobs.

I haven't looked in detail, but would moving this call later make for
an cleaner change?

-- 
Charles Bailey
http://ccgi.hashpling.plus.com/blog/