Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/3] Add -n/--no-prompt option to mergetool

From: Charles Bailey <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 07:44:55 +0100

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 04:21:21PM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Charles Bailey <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > I'm pretty keen on this patch, but have no strong opinions on which
> > short option is used, so are there any votes against -y?
> 
> Between 'n' and 'y', I am in favour of the latter, but at the same time I
> have to wonder if there are other commands that would want "Assume yes"
> option.  It could be that this single command that prompts for "Is this
> Ok" is an oddball and giving it an "interactive" option to trigger the
> current behaviour might make things more consistent.  I dunno.
> 

I think that git mergetool probably counts as at least 'unusual', and
I think that there is some merit in the current default behaviour. It
gives you a prompt at which you can C-c if it's about to run something
that you don't want it to do the first few times that you try
mergetool.

After more thoughts, I'm somewhat in favour of dropping the short
switch altogether. As it just saves a single keypress per merge I
imagine that most mergetool users, once they discover this new
feature and decide that they want to use it, will prefer to use a user
config option to switch it on. The command line option then becomes
something that you would only need to use to override your normal
default and something on which to hang the option description in the
man page. 

-- 
Charles Bailey
http://ccgi.hashpling.plus.com/blog/