Subject: Problem with Git.pm bidi_pipe methods

From: "Philippe Bruhat (BooK)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 02:14:46 +0200

Hi,

To be able to call commit-tree from a Perl program, I had to use
command_bidi_pipe() to pass the message on standard input, and get the
new commit id on standard output. The only problem I have is that the
method doesn't work (or at least, doesn't work like the other
command_... methods).

    sub command_bidi_pipe {
        my ($pid, $in, $out);
        $pid = open2($in, $out, 'git', @_);
        return ($pid, $in, $out, join(' ', @_));
    }

First, it calls git in the current working dir, when all the other
command_... methods do the appropriate chdir depending on the Git object.

Second, it can't be used as a method, since $self is not removed from @_
before calling open2, leading to errors such as this one:

    git: 'Git=HASH(0x82f898c)' is not a git-command. See 'git --help'.

Third, no access is given to STDERR (open3 may help).

I'm very sorry to complain without proposing a patch.

I think solving the current directory problem is probably going to be
difficult with open2/open3, since open2 does the fork+exec, whereas Git.pm
handles the fork+chdir+exec itself for the other command_...  methods.
And so there is no room to chdir when calling open2.

-- 
 Philippe Bruhat (BooK)

 Treat those you outrank well... you never know when they will outrank you.
                                                 (Moral from Groo #7 (Image))