Subject: Re: [RFC] Zit: the git-based single file content tracker

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 22:30:47 +0200

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 9:54 PM,  <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> On Fri, 24 Oct 2008, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
>>> Zit does
>>>                echo "*" > $GIT_DIR/info/exclude
>>> and yes it sucks to use a whole block for a file that only contains
>>> one character. Suggestions welcome.
>>
>> can this be configured in the config file?
> 
> Yes, the file pointed at by the config key core.excludesfile is read
> too, so we could have it point at $GIT_DIR/zitexclude, which would
> allow us to spare a block. The most space saving would be achieved by
> a core.excludepattern or similar key, which would allow us to get rid
> of the exclude file altogether.

Well, with all zit repositories in '.zit/' directory (similar to RCS/)
you could have point core.excludesfile to _common_ '.zit/excludes';
the pattern doesn't change from zit repository to zit repository?

You could even use per-user ~/.zitignore (I'm not sure if git expands 
'~' in paths; there was some patch for it, but was it accepted?) or 
system-wide /usr/lib/zitignore or /usr/libexec/zitignore file.
-- 
Jakub Narebski
Poland