Subject: Re: [PATCH] add -p: warn if only binary changes present

From: Thomas Rast <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 12:28:09 +0200

Jeff King wrote:
> > +			print STDERR "No changes except to binary files.\n";
> 
> This wording seems a little awkward to me, though. Maybe
> 
>   No changed text files.
> 
> ?

I tried to make a more precise statement.  "No changed text files"
also holds if no files at all were changed.  A user can only infer
that there _are_ binary changes if he knows that the message in the
latter case would have been "No changes".

That being said, it is somewhat awkward, I just couldn't come up with
a better message with this meaning.  I considered some other options,
such as giving a hint to use git-add or running git-status for the
user, but these would have been far more verbose.

- Thomas

-- 
Thomas Rast
trast@{inf,student}.ethz.ch