Subject: Re: [VOTE] git versus mercurial (for DragonflyBSD)

From: Arne Babenhauserheide <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 20:11:36 +0100

Am Dienstag 28 Oktober 2008 18:48:28 schrieb Andreas Ericsson:
> > Stuff which does command line parsing can naturally break when I change
> > the output. But it can also directly use the advanced features.
>
> But then you're back with a single language, taking valuable freedom
> away from the addon author. 

Not really. 

Extension authors just have to take care to keep their output compatible. 

You can do command line parsing just like with git, but additionally you can 
change the workings of the basic commands, but then you have to take care to 
keep the output compatible. 

For example when I wrote the group extension, I made sure that the log only 
gives grouped output, when it is explicitely asked to do so, either via 
--group or via the grouped_log=True setting in .hgrc. 

> How many perl gurus have skipped writing
> stuff for hg because it's a "python-or-bust" thing?

How many Python people decided to write an extension for hg, because it can 
very nicely be accessed via Python? 

(and which one of these has the higher effect? :) )

Best wishes, 
Arne

-- My stuff: http://draketo.de - stories, songs, poems, programs and stuff :)
-- Infinite Hands: http://infinite-hands.draketo.de - singing a part of the 
history of free software.
-- Ein Würfel System: http://1w6.org - einfach saubere (Rollenspiel-) Regeln.

-- PGP/GnuPG: http://draketo.de/inhalt/ich/pubkey.txt