Subject: Re: jgit as a jira plugin

From: "Shawn O. Pearce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 16:08:16 -0700

"J. Longman" <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I've integrated jgit into a plugin for the Jira Issue tracking system.  
> There is more information here: 
> http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAEXT/Jira+Git+Plugin

Cool!

> 1) I noticed that there is a maven pom file.  Are you present in a maven 
> repository?  Also any problem with embedding a working snapshot in my 
> plugin?

No, we aren't hosted in any repository yet.  The pom file exists to
make it easier for people who prefer maven to build, but its not the
primary build system for jgit.

> 2) I'd like to find out the jgit way to achieve the equivalent of 'svn  
> update'.  I understand that fetch can do this but being new to git, I  
> don't really understand quite what I need yet.  The goal is to have git 
> the latest commits from the origin before indexing.

Use a Transport instance to execute a default fetch (no args) on say
the "remote" origin.  That will download the objects to the local
database, but it won't update a working directory.  But I'm not sure
you would care about the working directory in the backend of Jira.

> Thanks for jgit - it took me a day or two to wrap my head around getting 
> the list of files changed in a commit but otherwise its great to have 
> something that can be integrated into jira.

Yea, about that, we wanted to write more tutorials on the API...  ;-)

-- 
Shawn.