Subject: Re: [PATCH] prepare deprecation of git-revert

From: Theodore Tso <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 15:01:57 -0400

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 09:36:33AM -0700, Jakub Narebski wrote:
> > +#if 0
> > +	warning("git revert is deprecated, please use git cherry-pick --revert/-R instead");
> > +#endif
> 
> By the way, Mercurial names this command IIRC 'hg backout'. 

By the way, BitKeeper names this command "bk undo" (which is another
reason why I would advocate against "git undo" as a syntatic sugar for
"git checkout HEAD -- $*") --- not that I think there are too many BK
refugees that might want to switch to git, but it shows that "undo"
has its own ambiguities; gk uses "undo" the same way we currently use
"git revert".

For people who argue that "git cherry-pick --revert" or "git
cherry-pick -R" is too long, I'd argue that for most people its not a
common command, and for those for which it is common, they can always
make in alias for "git pick".

						- Ted